Installation Overview Tips (START HERE)
Process and Tips for a successful installation
- Read Owner's Manual.
- Physical Installation (Diagrams for common setups can be found at egauge.net/help/config section 2, starting on page 13, as of time of article publishing).
Voltages: First available breaker may not be on the system L1. Ensure the eGauge's L1 breaker is on the same phase as the system L1. Use a volt-meter to check voltage between the eGauge L1 and system L1, zero volts is the correct phase. More information on panel phasing here. Always connect the N terminal appropriately or damage may occur. Never connect a ground to the N terminal.
CTs: Install the CT oriented in the proper direction around the conductors to be measured:
Model Orientation J&D (JSxxxx models) Point the sticker towards what is being measured Orange Rope CTs Point the arrow towards what is being measured eGauge ECS20 CTs Current should flow in the same direction the
Some CTs require two clicks to close fully. Use a volt-meter to check between conductor CT is around and the eGauge L1, L2, or L3 to ensure correct phase.
Network: Visit this KB article for how to confirm network connections are up and device interface can be accessed.
- Connect to eGauge interface for configuration via this KB article. Note if you are not on the local network of the eGauge, you will need to register the device and enable remote administration and possibly reset the password. Visit this KB article for more information.
NOTE: You may need to click "LAN Access" before configuring if accessing via the proxy server.
- In the eGauge interface, navigate to Settings -> Installation and configure the unit. Visit this KB article for more information on how to configure.
For meters purchased on or after Jan 2021, the default credentials are printed on the side of the meter.
For meters purchased prior to Jan 2021, the default username is "owner" and password "default".
eGauge support cannot provide the password currently set on a meter or the default password on meters shipped on or after Jan 2021.
NOTE: If an error stating you are unauthorized to change settings, enable remote administration or click LAN Access in the top right corner of the page and try again.
- After configuration, commission the system by verifying readings in the channel checker. This article has information on identifying and correcting installation or configuration issues.
- Verify amperage readings are accurate with a multimeter (Use fresh batteries! Sometimes the eGauge is more accurate!)
- Verify voltages are accurate with a multimeter
- Ensure power polarities are correct (applies to system with a neutral)
- Grid is positive when there is no production back-feeding
- Generation is positive when producing (negative when in standby)
- Individual loads can be negative
- Ensure power factors look good (applies to systems with a neutral)
- Make sure Date and Time is correct in Settings -> Date & Time.
- Optional: update firmware in Tools -> Firmware Update.