(Legacy): Maestro E206XT cell router configuration
The Maestro E206XT is a powerful and highly configurable cellular modem and router. This article details configuring the Maestro E206XT to provide Internet access to an eGauge meter using a direct Ethernet connection, as well as other general information. Any advanced configuration questions should be directed to Maestro Wireless Solutions directly.
SIM Card Installation
The SIM card should come pre-installed if the E206XT is purchased directly from eGauge. However, if this is not the case the SIM card can be installed or replaced as needed.
Using a paperclip or similar instrument, gently push in the small yellow button to the right of the SIM tray. This will cause the tray to partially eject from the E206XT, at which point it can be removed the rest of the way by hand.
To reinstall the SIM tray, gently press it back into the E206XT. The SIM card should have the contact points facing upward. DO NOT force the SIM tray into the E206XT, as damage may result.
When purchased from eGauge Systems, the Maestro E206XT is pre-configured for the T-Mobile network, along with both Ethernet ports configured for LAN access. In the event the Maestro is re-configured or factory reset and must have the eGauge configuration applied, follow these instructions.
Reset and connect to Maestro unit
- Perform a factory reset, if not already done.
- Power up the E206XT using the included power supply.
- Using an Ethernet cable, connect a computer to port LAN1 on the E206XT. Make sure all forms of wireless communication are disabled on the computer.
- Open a web browser and navigate to 192.168.1.1. Log in using "admin" for both username and password.
Verify and update firmware
- Navigate to Status -> Overview. Look at Firmware Version under the System section. If at 2.0.1 RC7, skip to Install Configuration File. (Warning: firmware 2.1.1 RC6 is unstable and must not be used).
- Download maestro-e206-v201RC7-15122015.bin which is found attached to this article. Alternatively, download from Maestro's website.
- Navigate to System -> Backup/Flash firmware. In Flash new firmware image, choose maestro-e206-v201RC7-15122015.bin and press Flash image. The checksum should validate to fc06331a0057750b716044757ed470ab.
- When finished the device will reboot. Restart at step 4 to ensure new firmware took effect.
Install configuration file
- Download backup-Maestro-2017-02-24.tar.gz from this article.
- Navigate to System -> Backup/Flash firmware.
- In the Backup / Restore section, choose backup-Maestro-2017-02-24.tar.gz and press Upload archive.
- The unit will reboot after installing the configuration. You can ensure the settings took affect by logging into the Maestro, clicking Next on the Quick Setup wizard, and ensuring under the Cellular section that APN is set to fast.t-mobile.com
If settings are entered incorrectly or if the device password is changed and lost, a factory reset can be performed. To do this, use a paperclip to hold down the reset button (located on the opposite side of the E206XT from the SIM card slot) for at least five seconds.
- Login to the Maestro as described in step 2 to step 4 of the Configuration section.
- Highlight the “Status” tab at the top of the page and select “Overview” from the dropdown menu.
- Check to ensure that the “Network Status”, “Operator Name", “Operator Number”, and “SIM Status” fields all display values.
- Next, open a new tab or window in your browser. Navigate to a website of your choice to check Internet functionality. At this point in time you may wish to run a speed test to verify speed and connectivity.
When it is functioning properly, the E206XT should have a minimum of four LEDs lit. The Power LED should be lit solid green, the Signal and Network LEDs should be lit solid yellow, and the Activity LED should be blinking yellow if a network device is connected.
If the WiFi interface was left enabled, the WiFi LED will be lit solid blue. The WiFi interface is disabled by default by eGauge.
If the exclamation LED (!) is lit red for over 5 minutes, it indicates a configuration or hardware problem. Contact Maestro Wireless Solutions for assistance resolving this issue.
It may take the E206XT up to five minutes to obtain a connection after the last configuration setting has been applied. If the E206XT has been configured as described but cannot find a connection after five minutes, there are some common hardware issues that need to be checked.
First, make sure the SIM is correctly seated and oriented properly (contact points facing up). Mini and Micro SIMs will not work with the X206XT.
Second, ensure that the external cell antenna is properly connected. It should be connected to the "Cell. Main" port and all connections should be finger tight.
If settings are entered incorrectly or if the device password is changed and lost, a factory reset can be performed. To do this, follow instructions detailed in the Factory Reset section.