Where do I find the MAC address for my device?
Every eGauge meter has at least one MAC address. The MAC address can be used to identify the meter on a local network. It may also be requested by technical support staff to establish proof of ownership.
Broadly speaking, there are two ways to obtain the MAC address for a meter - either through the user interface (requires valid credentials) or by physically inspecting the meter.
All eGauge Models (EG4xxx, EG30xx)
The MAC address can be obtained through the user interface with valid credentials. To view a MAC address:
1. From the main graph page, select View and then Device Status
2. On the Status page, locate "MAC Address" (near the bottom of the page).
3. Click the "Look Up" link on this page. If your browser already has valid credentials cached, the link will be replaced with the device MAC address. Otherwise, you will be prompted to enter a valid username and password. The factory credentials for the eGauge meter are:
Note that these credentials may have been changed.
4. If "Lookup failed (retry)" appears, it means the credentials used do not have the appropriate permission level to view the device MAC address. If this happens, click the LAN Access link in the top right corner of the page, then repeat steps 1-3. Note that the computer must be on the same network as the eGauge for this to work.
EG4xxx (eGauge Core, eGauge Pro)
The EG4xxx has multiple MAC addresses depending on which interface is used.
The MAC address listed on the device label is the MAC address for the HomePlug interface and will be seen in DHCP leases if using HomePlug communication. It can also be found in the LCD screen in Info -> MAC.
If using Ethernet-direct, the MAC address is 2 greater than the MAC on the label.
EG30xx (and older)
The eGauge has one or two MAC addresses, depending on model. The first address is for Ethernet network communication (through the router or local area network). The second MAC address is associated with HomePlug power-line communication, and is only present in the EG301x model line.
The Ethernet MAC address (for EG300x and EG301x) may be found:
- On the back of the eGauge main unit
- On the installation information sheet (if EG300x)
- Displayed on the "Status" page (http://DEVNAME.egaug.es/status.html - requires username and password, replace DEVNAME with the device name of your device)
- On the packaging sleeve included with the eGauge (if EG300x)
The HomePlug MAC address (for EG301x) may be found:
- On the installation information sheet
- On the packaging sleeve included with the eGauge
Either MAC address may be used for device registration or verification of ownership. The MAC address associated with a HomePlug adapter (not the eGauge unit) may not be used for this purpose.